Sunday, December 21, 2014

Like Those Chips, I Can't Have Just One Favorite Christmas Memory

When my buddy, Cherdo, invited me to her Favorite Christmas Memory blog hop, I was excited and figured it would be easy. I love Christmas and have many great memories. Turns out, just like those darn BBQ chips, I can't have just one! Here are three that stand out.
1. My first Christmas working in the real world. In high school I worked at a chain music store. I enjoyed it UNTIL Christmas time. I thought Black Friday was rough. Oh no.  Listening to Christmas albums for hours and hours every shift was torture. Dating myself here but the hot band then was New Kids On The Block. We played their Christmas album a minimum of two times per four hour shift. That was the Christmas I came to appreciate Alvin and The Chipmunks Christmas album. It was a welcome reprieve.

2. My first Christmas as a teenager. Like most kids, I loved getting up super early on Christmas  morning and making sure everyone else was up so they wouldn't miss the fun. When I was thirteen my uncle repaid me in full for my kindness by sending windup singing Santa toys down the hall by my room every 15 minutes from 5 am til I finally got up.

3. My first Christmas coffee. Back in the day, my parents drove an old beat up VW van. We had moved up north and had flown down south to visit family. We flew back in late Christmas Eve right into a snowstorm and subzero temperatures. Of course that was the night that the family van's heat failed. As my dad drove the two hours home from the airport my mom made us put on all the clothes we had packed and huddled between me and my sister. Ahhh, the days before seatbelt laws. About an hour in, it was so cold my parents got truly worried so they pulled into a hospital and we piled in the waiting room to warm up. It wasn't the cold I really remember about that night. It was the nurses. They were so kind. The only warm drink they had was coffee but they sweetened it with as much sugar as they could. Then they took turns chatting with us and even played Barbies briefly. It always stuck with me that though they were pretty busy they took time to care for random people, not even patients, in the waiting room. So my coldest Christmas memory is really the warmest.
I could keep listing more but my seven year old is tugging at my sleeve to go make surprise cookies for his brothers. So, I'm off to make more Christmas memories.  Wishing you and all of yours the merriest Christmas and happiest holiday season.

10 comments:

  1. I love all your memories and I'm glad to have you for a pal...we've made some hilarious memories during the OTHER months of the year and I treasure those!

    Love ya, Cherdo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. Mascara - you've got some great memories there! #2 gave me a serious chuckle. I have an uncle who would do that too(smile). I'm so glad he never thought about it though.

    I'm a big cookie baker myself. Have fun and a very Merry Christmas with the boys! Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dixie! Love those crazy family members. They keep it interesting, don't they? Merry Christmas!!

      Delete
  3. Your uncle sounds fun. My family doesn't have that much of a sense of humour :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael- my uncle was quite the prankster. Laugh boxes during dinner blessing, crazy stocking stuffers, etc. He was quite the character! Loved him. However, at 5 in the morning, I think I would have appreciated family with less of a sense of humor, lol! Happy holidays to you and your family!

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you have happy memories of nurses. Thanks for hopping with us.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Janie! I'm enjoying reading all the blogs on the hop. So fun to read all the great memories. I appreciate you and Cherdo hosting. Wish you a very happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!